going going back back

This weekend i'm going home to see the new addition to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art with the whole fam to celebrate my grandfather's 89th birthday. I have a special warm and fuzzy place for the Nelson in a corner of the airless frozen blackspace where my heart should be. My grandfather used to be a docent there for like a million years and would take me on special tours. We'd stand beneath the ornately inlaid ceiling they raped from some ancient chinese temple and brought, tile by tile, to the middle of kansas and count the dragons. I don't really remember much else. They also have a semi-famous painting of some biblical figure cast in dramatic (chiaroscuro? i made that up) lighting with a deep red, fox-hair lined robe that was hot shit for some reason. Now they built a whole new wing, don't know what's in it, i'll find out.

No comments: