bland of horses

Also saw Band of Horses at the 930 Club last night. After daintily gorging myself on butter leaf lettuce, fresh pesto fettuccine, and carrot cake w/ cream cheese frosting, I waddled my way from Georgetown to U St in some of the steamiest evening heat of the summer. It blew, but I was glad I’d had a chance to walk off a bit of my food-pregnancy before standing in close proximity to other humans, lest I hurl my delicious $30.07 fare on their shoes.

The show was sold out, but since I’m the bomb and got mad connex (shut up Abby), a friend and I were on the list. Which was only good for 2 out of 3 friends, and, unable to scalp one more, 2 gave 3 his ticket and gentlemanly skulked home to drink more Shiner bock and rejoin a game of Texas hold-em. Good man.

The show kind of sucked anyway. I don’t really know the band all that well, except for that one song and a couple others I’d heard on mixes and Pandora. But a lot of it sounded the same: vocals verging on twangy with really loud guitars that would build and build until I could’ve sworn they were going to launch into lightning crashes. The highpoint was the second song of the encore, which they should have ended with. It was some cover that sounded a bit like if Skynnard did “you can’t always get what you want.” Low points were the meatheads directly behind us, yelling at the singer, “I love your beard!” which devolved quickly into “I love beer! Wooooooo!”

I have higher hopes for the upcoming:

Le Loup, Bellman Barker, and others @ RNR hotel – Friday, August 10

Georgie James, Perfect Souvenir @ Fort Reno – Monday, August 13

Bonde do Rolle, Plastic Little @ the Cat – Tuesday, September 11

No comments: