dots and loups

Sometimes I would give a pound of flesh to lie on my couch with my cat on my chest, paint my nails, eat an entire pizza, and watch season 2 of Laguna beach straight through. Such was the mood of this intrepid blogger yesterday, when after a Tuesday marathon of CalTort, Ratatouille, and yellow fever, I achieved only nominal shut-eye. Result? Me=walking dead at work next day and seconds after 5pm, plummeting into much needed evening nap.

But then I got a grip and went out again. An attractive friend coaxed me into meeting at DC9 for the DCist’s “Unbuckled 6” show featuring the XYZ affair and local upstarts, le loup. I won’t go into detail, as you can read and view DCist’s take here. My two cents are this: both bands are really, really good. I spent the night standing on top of a booth, gingerly bouncing, and playing the “which-band-does-this-band-sound-like” game. The XYZ affair was easier; answer = Weezer. Wait, no, Queen. Shit. Le loup proved even more difficult, and after many hesitant mental comparisons (there’s 7 people and like 20 instruments similar to Architecture in Helsinki, the one dude sounds kinda like Ben Gibbard, etc.), I caved and acknowledged their sound is all their own. They’re also cute, earning them the “icing/cake” award in my book of things I like in a band (and life, duh). It was fun.

U can haz fun too?

Tonight: get yer pretty on at Cusp then check out Mary Timony and Co. at Fort Reno.
Friday: piss yourself at the AFI’s midnight screening of the original ‘Friday the 13th’
Saturday: Mos Def at 930 club. Just sold out, but I got mine bitcheeeez! Don’t hate cuz you ain’t! (shut up Abby). Also, Bastille Day parties all over.
Sunday: soothe your head with hangover brunch somewhere delicious like Bourbon or Levante’s.

Ready go.

No comments: