this is my jam



I made jam yesterday. I went to Chico this weekend for labor day to visit an old friend (like I've been doing for years). On the way back down I-5, I committed highway robbery at a farm stand in Winters, CA, and came away with this golden booty:


The peaches are ripening another day before I can them in syrup. But the plums, oh the plums. My mom used to make plum jam from a tree in our yard when I was a kid, and it was the bomb. I on the other hand had no idea what I was doing. But I picked up a copy of "Putting Food By" at the flea market a couple weeks ago and I'd been eyeing this giant canning pot at the hardware store and then it went on sale so like it was a sign. A sign to jam.

This is what it looked like:




Then my camera battery died, until the next morning when it looked like this: Jam!


Thanks to Elizabeth for some welcome mid-jam triage. Maybe I'll try homemade pectin next time (let's get real, i'm not that intense).

and here's the money shot.

now i gotta go look for more stuff to slather this on and put in my mouth (that's what she said).

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

lookin' good, m'dear, lookin' good. . .