Stop Making Films: I’m talking to you, Kevin Costner

No time for details of my week (c’mon! no no, really kids), but here’s a bit of side-by-side action to tide one over. Shall we? Let’s.

Movies I saw this week that sucked so bad they were funny, but still not funny enough to not really, really suck = Mr. Brooks.
Films (see the difference, eh?) I’m going to see tonight that promise less sucking and more adjectives as well that mean “not sucking” = Stop Making Sense (SMS), at a special FREE outdoor screening as part of the AFI’s Silverdocs festival.

Mr. Brooks = Stars a washed up (get it? I’m hilarious) actor who once defended a post-apocalyptic floating kingdom in one of the greatest cinematic flops ever.
SMS = Stars the Talking Heads, one of the greatest American new wave rock bands ever.

Mr. Brooks = Features a psycho killer who’s totally boring and annoying at the same time.
SMS = Features the song “psycho killer,” which totally rocks and rolls… at the same time!

Mr. Brooks = After cringing through lines like “but I don’t want to kill the dancers!” from the main character - who sounds more like an angsty teenager than a murderer - to his devil-on-the-shoulder alter ego, I left the theater irate and not a little brain-damaged.
SMS = Directed by Jonathan Demme and featuring live concert footage from 1984 - including many a big suit – the film will leave the audience cross-eyed and painless.

Mr. Brooks = I will only see this movie once in my lifetime.
SMS = Well… you know.

No comments: