Get coffee, fuck bitches

I’m in acute deadline hell. Not unlike having a baby, the panic attacks have been coming half-hourly like contractions. With my “Bat Mitzvah Party” playlist of guilty pleasures on repeat for the last week, I’ve probably listened to “Juicy” more times today than there are members in Junior M.A.F.I.A. All this is to say, I’ve done little else the last few days than cry in public and drink copious amounts of coffee. So while I could write about crying (just ask), coffee is much more delicious and doesn’t usually end with people glaring at you as snot runs off your face.

And so with the imminent closure of two of DC’s most beloved independent venues for drinking coffee and more (Sparky’s and Warehouse Next Door), a recap of good (by DC standards) coffee shops seems in order now more than ever. Here are some of my personal faves, all of which have free internet (good for the typing while sipping and weeping):

Big Bear Café: This just opened up a block from my house in Shaw and shares street space on Sunday mornings with the newly established Bloomingdale farmer’s market. Only gripes so far are intensely strong coffee (doesn’t change color with milk) and ubiquitous lite jazz on the stereo. I was about to congratulate a barista friend on Sunday for his good work changing up the music, but just as I opened my mouth, the owner abruptly switched off “California Love” and the fucking jazz started up again. So I cut her.

Ebenezer’s: This is near my work and convenient to folks near Union Station or the Senate side of the Hill. Owned by a church, they host special events like book signings and free dance classes sometimes. They also feature all fair trade coffee and these delicious little things called “magic bites,” which taste like almond joy crack and make me insane with pastry lust.

14 & U: At the corner of (guess where) 14th and U, NW, this is where, while drinking cocoa and eating homemade baklava on St. Paddy’s day, I first met crazy wandering Marc, a DC institution (Marc, not the coffee shop). Don’t worry, if you don’t know him, you will soon. Just look behind you.

Murky Coffee: One in Arlington and one near Eastern Market. The one in Arlington boasts a venue upstairs featuring periodic all-ages shows, including “Metal Night” this Wednesday that promises to fully rock.

Tryst: Can be kind of a meat market and internet is only free on weekdays, but the comfy couches and animal crackers that come with my chai still win me over. There’s also live jazz sometimes, and they have a full bar which is awesome when you feel like livening up your cocoa with a little rum. Or a lot.

Now back to work. whimper whimper.

3 comments:

Lana said...

sorry about the music -- you try working 16 hour days for two weeks straight and try to find something that'll make the diverse crowd happy. although i am sick of the jazz i think i heard enough of california love in 6th grade to last me a lifetime. and the coffee is french press, so it seems stronger than it is. introduce yourself next time you come in.

-Lana

Lana said...

by the way, i like your blog. and next time you're in, bring some cds or an ipod and we'll put it on. i'm over all of my music (hence the jazz).

Abby said...

We've actually met. You really liked my bag. Maybe i'll burn you a mix sometime (and by mix, i mean "all eyez on me").